A1 - Alloy Body Armor
The curved A1 body armor is a rugged, steel alloy blend plate that provides Level III+ body armor protection which is capable of defeating 5.56x45 M855 rounds at velocities of up to 3,100 FPS and all lesser threats with multi-hit capability. This A1 armor plate from Armored Republic features a durable FragLock™ coating, which gives both fragmentation protection and seals the armor to ensure its 20-year shelf life.
The A1 - Alloy Body Armor is able to stop level III+ threats such as 7.62x39/7.62x51/5.56 M193s, and .223/.308 WIN rounds. And unlike ceramic or polyethylene material, this custom steel alloy blend is able to take several hits from these rounds without fail. This multi-hit special threat resistance is the distinguishing quality of the A1 plate.
The armor plate is curved, shooters cut, and features either our FragLock™ Base Coat or Build-Up Coat.
The FragLock™ coating provides a maintenance-free shelf life of twenty years, which makes this steel plate last much longer than polyethylene or ceramic alternatives. Our Build-Up Coat prevents fragmentation injury, while our Base Coat seals the armor plates up from sweat.
Knowledge Base Articles
- The Armored Republic Body Armor Matrix
- Pros & Cons of Alloy Armor
- What Happens When a Bullet(s) Hit Alloy (Steel) Body Armor?
- Steel vs Ceramic Body Armor
- What is a Trauma Pad?
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does level 3 body armor protect against? How does level 3 plus protection differ? Level 3 body armor protection rating by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) standards is 6x shots of 7.62x51mm @ 2,780 FPS from 51' away. Armored Republic's A1 body armor which provides level 3 Plus protection, further enhances the protection established by the NIJ, by also stopping threats such as 7.62x39 @ 3,000 FPS, .223 5.56 M193/M855 penetrators @ 3,100 FPS and /.308 WIN rounds @ 3,000 FPS.
- How much does level 3 body armor weigh? Armored Republic's AR500 Armor® Heritage Plate which provides level 3 protection weighs 8.5 lbs per plate while our A1 plate which provides level 3+ protection is 8 lbs per plate (for the 10" x 12" Base Coat coating).
- Can civilians own level 3 body armor? Yes. Exceptions include New York and Connecticut- both of which restrict ownership of body armor to law enforcement and active military only.
For other general body armor and Armored Republic questions visit our FAQ page.
Material: Ballistic steel and alloy blend of 650 hardness on the Brinell scale, with FragLock™ Coating
Protection: 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,100 FPS (+/- 30 FPS), 7.62x51 M80 Ball (ie .308) at 3,000 FPS (+/- 30FPS), and DEA Certified
Capability: Edge-to-edge multi-hit protection
Dimensions & Compatibility:
- 10" x 12"
- Base Coat (8 lbs, 0.31" thick)
- Build-Up Coat (8.75 lbs, 0.56" thick)
- Plate Carriers: Testudo, Valkyrie & Invictus
- 11" x 14"
- Base Coat (10 lbs, 0.31" thick)
- Build-Up Coat (10.75 lbs, 0.56" thick)
- Plate Carriers: Testudo
Shelf life: 20 years
Manufactured: United States