A1 - Alloy Body Armor
The curved A1 body armor is a rugged, steel alloy blend plate that provides Level III+ body armor protection which is capable of defeating 5.56x45 M855 rounds at velocities of up to 3,100 FPS, 7.62x51 M61 (AP) rounds at velocities up to 2,800 FPS, and all lesser threats with multi-hit capability. This A1 armor plate from Armored Republic features a durable FragLock™ coating, which gives both fragmentation protection and seals the armor to ensure its 20-year shelf life.
The A1 - Alloy Body Armor is able to stop level III+ threats such as 7.62x39/7.62x51/5.56 M193s, 5.56 M855 penetrators, and .223/.308 WIN rounds. And unlike ceramic or polyethylene material, this custom steel alloy blend is able to take several hits from these rounds without fail. This multi-hit special threat resistance is the distinguishing quality of the A1 plate.
The armor plate is curved, shooters cut, and features either our FragLock™ Base Coat or Build-Up Coat.
The FragLock™ coating provides a maintenance-free shelf life of twenty years, which makes this steel plate last much longer than polyethylene or ceramic alternatives. Our Build-Up Coat prevents fragmentation injury, while our Base Coat seals the armor plates up from sweat.
Knowledge Base Articles
- The Armored Republic Body Armor Matrix
- Pros & Cons of Alloy Armor
- What Happens When a Bullet(s) Hit Alloy (Steel) Body Armor?
- Steel vs Ceramic Body Armor
- What is a Trauma Pad?
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does level 3 body armor protect against? How does level 3 plus protection differ? Level 3 body armor protection rating by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) standards is 6x shots of 7.62x51mm @ 2,780 FPS from 51' away. Armored Republic's A1 body armor which provides level 3 Plus protection, further enhances the protection established by the NIJ, by also stopping threats such as 7.62x39 @ 3,000 FPS, .223 5.56 M193/M855 penetrators @ 3,200 FPS and /.308 WIN rounds @ 3,000 FPS.
- How much does level 3 body armor weigh? Armored Republic's AR500 Armor® Heritage Plate which provides level 3 protection weighs 8.5 lbs per plate while our A1 plate which provides level 3+ protection is 8 lbs per plate (for the 10" x 12" Base Coat coating).
- Can civilians own level 3 body armor? Yes. Exceptions include New York and Connecticut- both of which restrict ownership of body armor to law enforcement and active military only.
For other general body armor and Armored Republic questions visit our FAQ page.
Material: Ballistic steel and alloy blend of 650 hardness on the Brinell scale, with FragLock™ Coating
Protection: 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,100 FPS (+/- 30 FPS), 7.62x51 M80 Ball (ie .308) at 3,000 FPS (+/- 30FPS), and DEA Certified
Capability: Edge-to-edge multi-hit protection
Dimensions & Compatibility:
- 10" x 12"
- Base Coat (8 lbs, 0.31" thick)
- Build-Up Coat (9.5 lbs, 0.56" thick)
- Plate Carriers: Testudo, Valkyrie & Invictus
- 11" x 14"
- Base Coat (10 lbs, 0.31" thick)
- Build-Up Coat (11.5 lbs, 0.56" thick)
- Plate Carriers: Testudo
Shelf life: 20 years
Manufactured: United States