A2 - Alloy Body Armor
The A2 body armor from Armored Republic is thin, low-profile, and low-weight- giving you maximum mobility without compromising stopping power. This curved armor plate has our durable FragLock™ coating and is especially mobile at just 5.5 pounds with a thickness of 0.26”. Made with a custom steel alloy blend, this level 3 plus protection defeats all pistols and most rifles, including 5.56 M193 and M855 at speeds of up to 3,000 FPS. Guarantee yourself flexibility on the mission with next-level protection.
-Whether you’re looking for something comfortable for long hours on duty, or something lightweight to be able to keep up with fast-paced action on the field, the lightweight A2 - Alloy Body Armor from Armored Republic has you covered.
Tested to go above and beyond NIJ level 3 standards, the curved, shooters cut A2 armor plate is level 3+ rated to defeat all pistols and most rifle ammunition, including 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,000 FPS as well as AK-47 rounds (7.62x39) and .308 (7.62x51 M80 NATO Ball) at 2,850 FPS. Also, thanks to the custom steel alloy blend, it is able to protect against several hits without shattering or breaking like ceramic or polyethylene would. It also provides the same protection on the edges as it does in the center, giving you true edge-to-edge coverage.
The FragLock™ Coating, available in both Base Coat and Build-Up Coat versions, is a feature of Armored Republic plates that protects both the user and the plate itself. The Build-Up Coat protects the user by helping capture fragmentation (a bullet’s broken apart pieces after impact). The Base Coat seals the armor plate from sweat and other contaminants that would compromise the steel core. With either the Build-Up or Base Coat of FragLock™, this plate has a shelf-life of twenty years and requires no maintenance.
Knowledge Base Articles
- Armored Republic Body Armor Matrix
- Pros & Cons of Alloy Armor
- What Happens When a Bullet(s) Hit Alloy (Steel) Body Armor?
- Steel vs Ceramic Body Armor
- What is a Trauma Pad?
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the lightest weight steel plate? Our Armored Republic A3 hybrid steel plate weighs only 4.6 lbs while our heavier Build-Up coated A1 Plate weighs in at 9.5 lbs. Lastly, our robust and mobile Build-Up coated A2 Plate weighs almost in between at only 6.5 lbs.
- How thick does steel need to be bullet-resistant? Thickness is relevant to materials used. Some materials like UHMWPE require much more to stop and encapsulate a projectile while steel and ceramic only have to be thick enough to provide a hardened surface that can withstand a ballistic threat. Since there are different types of steel that can be used for steel armor, most AR500-550 steel plates only need to be roughly 0.25” thick. When fragmentation coating is applied the thickness increases to roughly 0.5” thick.
- What is spall and fragmentation? We often see people use these two terms interchangeably, but they are not the same. Fragmentation is when a high-velocity projectile (such as a bullet) hits a surface hard enough to cause it to break into fragments. Fragments that are not fully decelerated continue to travel outward from the point of impact. When you are using steel core armor, you can expect to see fragmentation only if the armor stops a threat. Spalling is when armor breaks and leaves pieces that become a backward threat to the wearer. Generally speaking, ceramic-type armor spalls. Because ceramic armor is generally more brittle than other forms of armor, it is especially susceptible to spalling and fragmentation. Learn about our proprietary fragmentation mitigation coating: FragLock™.
For other general body armor and Armored Republic questions visit our FAQ page.
Material: Ballistic steel alloy blend of 650 hardness on the Brinell scale, with FragLock™ Coating
Protection: 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,000 FPS (+/- 30 FPS) and 7.62x39 (ie AK-47), 7.62x51 M80 NATO Ball (ie .308) at 2,850 FPS. Not rated for AP rounds.
Capability: Edge-to-edge multi-hit protection
Dimensions & Compatibility:
- 10" x 12"
- Base Coat (5.5 lbs, 0.25")
- Build-Up Coat (6.5 lbs, 0.50")
- Plate Carriers: Testudo, Valkyrie & Invictus
- 11" x 14"
- Base Coat (7 lbs, 0.25")
- Build-Up Coat (8.5 lbs, 0.50")
- Plate Carriers: Testudo
Shelf life: 20 years
Manufactured: United States